Green Ruby Programmer

This space will chart my progress through the world of Ruby programming. Hopefully, it will conclude with me becoming a master Ruby programmer. With a moniker like this one, I shall have plenty of motivation to make that sooner rather than later! My other favorite programming languages these days are Python and Java. I have known both of them for about a decade.

Friday, May 05, 2006

Sonjaya Tandon » Hooked on Rails

Sonjaya Tandon::
I STRONGLY recommend anyone serious about software development to get this up and running on your development machines. Even if you don’t plan to develop your deployment applications on Rails there are simply too many good ideas that it captures to ignore it. It is a realization of decades of best practices around Model-View-Controller architecture. Make the time to prototype some applications in this environment. At the least, you will get some good ideas to take to your core development environment.


Well said, Sonjaya!

Ruby is a great language and Ruby On Rails is a framework worthy of the language.

There are a lot of good ideas and techniques in it. Hopefully, it will speed up adoption of a lot of the great approaches to software development that have gone unnoticed and unused by the bulk of programmers for so many years, and in some cases - decades.

I just realized the 2nd edition of the Rails book from the agile programmer was actually on sale in PDF form already, only an hour or two ago myself. I think I might do as she suggests and buy it.

Then I get the advantages of having it now, plus free updates for it later on.

I recently got an Amazon gift certificate for my birthday, so I will be picking up a couple more Ruby titles this month as well.

I finally am mastering the arcane art of blocks and procs. The result is I can do some really fun functional programming style things now in a very apt fashion.

I really am loving Ruby and it is great to see that programmers are finding Rails just as lovable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages and news

Add this blog to my Technorati Favorites!
Click here to join ruby_programming_group
Click to join ruby_programming_group