Green Ruby Programmer

This space will chart my progress through the world of Ruby programming. Hopefully, it will conclude with me becoming a master Ruby programmer. With a moniker like this one, I shall have plenty of motivation to make that sooner rather than later! My other favorite programming languages these days are Python and Java. I have known both of them for about a decade.

Friday, May 05, 2006

AJAX validation in Rails

I have noticed it is pretty hard to get away with writing a software application without data entry validation.

It is kind of like eating a meal without opening your mouth. If you do manage to do it, you are going to be a real mess. And probably not fulfilled your technical requirements very well.

In AJAX validation in Rails, BigSmoke says:
This text discusses how I handled validation messages and other notices caused by AJAX requests.

Note that, as of this moment, this page will probably not work in IE because, for now, it's an XHTML 2(!) page that is converted client-side to an XHTML 1 document. Given the target audience of this writing, I thought this to be not too much of a problem.


Well, unfortunately, I have to add Apple Safari 2.0.3 to the list of browsers the page does not work with. In Safari, the page just comes up blank.

Works great in Camino 1.0.1 and Firefox 1.5.0.3 though.

The article is really easy to read and the color-coded/pretty-printed source code listings with snippets of Ruby and Javascript code in them are really easy on the eyes.

I think this article will be high on my list of things to read when I am doing some AJAX/JSON programming in Ruby On Rails.

Technorati Tags:
, , , ,


1 Comments:

At 8:21 PM, Blogger BigSmoke said...

Hi John,

I really appreciate the positive remarks you made on my text. Thanks!

In the meantime I've converted the article to XHTML 1.1. I'm curious to know if this will work better with KHTML based browsers such as Safari. If you would be able to check this for me, I'd be mucho happy, since I rarely find myself behind a Linux desktop these days.

I have made a few minor content changes to the article as well. One of these is that the title has changed into Ajax validation on Rails, which has more of that railroad ring to it ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages and news

Add this blog to my Technorati Favorites!
Click here to join ruby_programming_group
Click to join ruby_programming_group