Green Ruby Programmer

This space will chart my progress through the world of Ruby programming. Hopefully, it will conclude with me becoming a master Ruby programmer. With a moniker like this one, I shall have plenty of motivation to make that sooner rather than later! My other favorite programming languages these days are Python and Java. I have known both of them for about a decade.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

somewhere near or far from beginning - and far, far from ending

Last year I began a journey which I hope will turn me into an expert Ruby programmer.

Since then I have worked on some interesting programs: a text-based Role Playing Game (RPG), a yet-unfinished chess program, and a recently-started expression parser-and-evaluator.

I know a lot of computer languages. So many that it would be annoying to list them all here. Check my sidebar. I will list a bunch of them there.

I was kind of a language geek for a long time. Plus, I am in my third decade in the programming field.

So the number of programming, web document, and writing-tool languages I learned by impulse or compulsion is pretty high.

Ruby is one of the former. Nobody is forcing me to learn it. No one is even helping me to learn it. At least not formally.

As I learn new things related to Ruby programming, I will post some of the more interesting ones here.

I have a few quotes from the Dune books about beginnings. They sound kind of profound. They make a good close to my first post on this blog.

A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct. This every sister of the Bene Gesserit knows.
- from Manual of Muad'Dib by the Princess Irulan(source: Wikipedia)


Some actions have an end but no beginning; some begin but do not end. It all depends upon where the observer is standing.
- Leto Atreides

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages and news

Add this blog to my Technorati Favorites!
Click here to join ruby_programming_group
Click to join ruby_programming_group